Community work orders for young people

If a young person pleads guilty or is found guilty of an offence, a court may order them to do community work.

This is called a community work order.

Community work is unpaid work that benefits the community and aims to repair the harm that has been caused.

Types of community work include:

  • assisting charity stores or food banks
  • helping in aged care or Aboriginal and youth community centres
  • assisting with outdoor projects such as:
    • removing graffiti
    • collecting rubbish
    • landscaping.

Businesses and organisations can nominate any work that may be suitable for a young person.

Read below to find out more if you are a business or organisation.

The young person is responsible for their participation in a project and rehabilitation for a certain amount of hours.

The Youth Justice Court decides the type of community work and number of hours.

A community youth justice officer or youth outreach and re-engagement officer from Territory Families will:

  • support the young person to comply with their order
  • document their attendance.

You can apply to have your project considered as community work if you are a Northern Territory (NT) business or organisation.

This includes:

  • charities, not-for-profit organisations or community groups
  • local government bodies
  • institutions for the socially disadvantaged or people with a disability
  • private enterprises or business owners.

Before you apply

Before you apply, you must be able to meet or demonstrate the following criteria:

  • The work:
    • will benefit the community
    • is restorative in nature and/ or
    • provides a meaningful pathway for the young person
    • will not directly or indirectly provide any personal or financial benefit to Territory Families staff
    • will not be demeaning or degrading
  • A site supervisor will be present the entire time the young person is attending. The supervisor must:
    • monitor the work performance of the young person and
    • complete documentation such as attendance sheets and incident reports
    • maintain a safe working environment under the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act 2011
  • Direct supervisors of young people must have a current Working with Children Clearance/ Ochre Card
  • You must have current public liability insurance.

You must:

  • present your Ochre Card to Territory Families on request
  • supply a copy of your public liability insurance.

How to apply

To apply or for more information, contact your nearest Territory Families Youth Outreach and Re-engagement office.

Alice Springs

08 8951 5867


08 8946 5120


08 8987 0464


08 8973 8605

Last updated: 14 May 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!