Apply for a special event permit

Changes to the NT Liquor Act

On 1 October 2019, liquor laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT).

The information below is currently under review.

For more up to date information, contact Licensing NT.

If you are the organiser of a public event in an area where alcohol is banned you can apply for a special event permit to allow people to drink alcohol at your event.

You must apply at least seven days before the event.

Examples of public events include all of the following:

  • public festival
  • community and sporting event
  • wedding
  • fundraising activity
  • street party.

If you intend selling alcohol at your event, you should complete a special licence application.

How to apply

To apply for a special event permit follow these steps:

Step 1. Complete your application online on the Licensing NT website or fill in the form.

Special event permit for public restricted area DOCX (45.4 KB)
Special event permit for public restricted area PDF (34.2 KB)

Step 2. Pay the fee.

Step 2. Submit your form online or at your nearest Territory Business Centre.

If you have any questions about your application, call the toll free number 1800 193 111.

Last updated: 06 November 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.