Buying takeaway alcohol


There are extra rules in certain places in the Northern Territory (NT) about buying takeaway alcohol.

These include: 

  • times and days you can buy takeaway alcohol
  • and how much you can buy of certain types of alcohol each day

In some places, you must show photo ID when you buy takeaway alcohol.

Sometimes an area can have temporary restrictions put in place when there are concerns for community safety.

This guide has information about the restrictions in place throughout the Katherine region, Tennant Creek and Barkly, East Arnhem and Alice Springs and Central Australia.

Changes to who can buy takeaway alcohol

From 1 September 2017 all Territorians and visitors to the Northern Territory will need to show photo ID to buy takeaway alcohol.

Find out more about the changes to who can buy takeaway alcohol.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 17 May 2017


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.