Get alcohol banned in your area

Changes to the NT Liquor Act

On 1 October 2019, liquor laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT).

The information below is currently under review.

For more up to date information, contact Licensing NT.

You can apply to have alcohol completely banned in your area.

This is called a general restricted area, and includes all buildings on the land.

Who can apply

Any person or organisation can apply.

The application may then go to a hearing where businesses and local authorities in the area can have their say.

How to apply

You will need to write a letter to the Licensing NT.

Your letter must include all of the following:

  • a clear description of the area of land, including GPS coordinates if possible
  • reasons why you are applying
  • details of whether the land will be completely dry or certain types of liquor will be allowed or whether there will be a liquor permit system.

You should send your application to Licensing NT.

Contact Licensing NT

Level 3, NAB House
71 Smith Street
Darwin NT 0800

PO Box 1154
Darwin NT 0801
Phone: (08) 8999 1800
Fax: (08) 8999 6232

After you apply

Licensing NT will decide whether the application is serious - if not it will be dismissed.

Licensed businesses in or near the requested area will be told about the application and a hearing date will be arranged.

Breaking the ban and penalties

The police and licensing inspectors can:

  • stop and search motor vehicles, boats, planes and homes
  • take any illegal alcohol and charge the person who has the liquor
  • seize the vehicle, boat or plane used to transport the alcohol into the area.

You can be issued a fine/and or be sentenced to time in prison if you are caught breaking the general restricted area law.

Find out more information about alcohol penalties and offences.

Seizing vehicles, boats and planes

If a vehicle, boat or plane is seized it may only be returned after an investigation.

Breaches of liquor permits

If a person with a liquor permit is caught with a different type of liquor that is allowed on their permit, or is found to be giving alcohol to another person they shouldn't, their liquor permit will be cancelled.

Last updated: 05 February 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!