Apply for an individual liquor permit

How to apply for an individual liquor permit

Who can apply for a permit

You can apply for a liquor permit if you are any of the following:

  • over 18 years old
  • a visitor or tourist who has recognised accommodation
  • a resident of an Indigenous community where alcohol is banned but allows their residents to have a permit.

Before you apply

Permanent residents 

You must provide one of the following types of photo identification: 

  • a Northern Territory driver licence
  • an 18+ proof of age card
  • an Australian passport or Australian Defence Force photo ID card and current electricity or phone bill to show proof of address. 

You must also provide one of the following:

  • a phone, electricity or other bill in your name 
  • or a letter from your local government community council or community association confirming your address.

And one of the following: 

  • a Medicare card
  • a Centrelink Healthcare card.

If you are applying for a liquor permit in the Groote Eylandt area you must take your completed application to the Alyangula Police Station for a name check.

Once you have been cleared the police will forward your application to the permit office.

Read about ID.

Tourists or visitors

You will need to provide:

  • an itinerary, invoice or other document confirming your travel plans
  • and photo ID, such as a driver licence or passport. 

Go to Travellers and tourists to the NT.

How to apply

You must fill in a liquor permit application form. 

Depending on where you live you will need to fill in the form relevant to your area. You can submit your application by email or fax. 

Step 1. Fill in one of the following application forms:

Step 2. Send your identification documents and application form to Licensing NT:


Fax (08) 8999 7498 


Alice Springs

Fax: (08) 8951 5112 

If your application is refused

When you apply for a liquor permit, you agree to have a police check. 

This information is used to help the police and the liquor permit committee in your area decide if you should have your application is approved.

If your application is refused you can ask for a review of the permit committee's decision. Your review will be handled by the office of the director-general of licensing.

To apply for a review you must fill in a:

If your application is refused by the director-general's office you can choose to have your matter heard by Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT).

Read about NTCAT to find out how to apply for a review.

Apply for a liquor permit in East Arnhem

Read more about how to apply and the conditions for liquor permit holders in East Arnhem.

Residents of Gumatji and Laynhapuy homelands are not eligible to apply for a liquor permit.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 28 November 2017