Request a panel mediator to negotiate a land access agreement

On 1 January 2021, the Petroleum Regulations 2020 came into effect.

This information is for petroleum companies that want to carry out authorised activities in the Northern Territory.

You must have a land access agreement in place with the landholder before you start regulated petroleum operations.

If you can't reach agreement with the landholder, you may be able to request a mediator from the mediators panel to help you.

When you can request a panel mediator

You can apply for a panel mediator if you have already done the following:

  • tried to negotiate directly with the landholder in good faith for at least 60 days and
  • requested they take part in an alternative dispute resolution process, but they have not:
    • responded to your notice within the requested timeframe or
    • agreed to the type of dispute resolution or facilitator.

If you are eligible to apply

If you have completed the steps above, you can request for the department to select a mediator.

Mediators are selected from a panel appointed by the Minister for Mining and Industry.

How to apply

To request a mediator from the panel, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the application to appoint a member of the mediators panel DOCX (66.3 KB).

Step 2. Submit the application to Land Access.

What to expect at mediation

The panel mediator will conduct a mediation between you and the landholder to try and reach a land access agreement.

What to bring to the mediation

You will have to provide a draft land access agreement for the mediation.

If you reach an agreement

If you reach an agreement, you must get it approved by the minister for mining and industry or their delegate.

If you can't reach an agreement

If you can't reach an agreement, you may apply to the NT Civil and Administrative Tribunal for a decision to be made.

Last updated: 14 July 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!