Environmental rehabilitation security bond

When you have finished conducting your petroleum activities the site needs to be rehabilitated in line with your environmental management plan. Read more about environmental management plan.

Rehabilitation security bond

You are required to provide a rehabilitation security bond as a condition of approval for any petroleum activity.

Your bond will not be released unless you meet all the requirements to rehabilitate the site where the activity was conducted.

Calculating the bond

Your rehabilitation security bond allows for the total estimated cost for remediation of disturbances and can be calculated using this template.

Rehabilitation Security Assessment Template (68.1 kb) 

Paying the security bond

You must pay the security bond prior to any petroleum activity commencing.

Bond payments can be made using one of the following:

  • cash
  • credit card
  • direct debit: call 08 8999 5263 for account details
  • cheque: payable to the Receiver of Territory Monies
  • money order
  • bank guarantee in favour of the Minister for Primary Industry and Resources.

Bank guarantees, money orders and cheques can be sent  by mail to the department's Darwin postal address.

Cash and credit card payments must be made in person between 8.00am and 4.00pm at:

Energy Directorate
Department of Primary Industry and Resources
4th Floor Centrepoint Building
Smith Street Mall

The money held is in trust and remains in stasis.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 03 August 2018