Environmental rehabilitation security bond
When you have finished conducting your petroleum activities, the site needs to be rehabilitated in line with your environmental management plan. Read more about environmental management plan.
Rehabilitation security bond
You are required to provide a rehabilitation security bond as a condition of approval for any petroleum activity.
Your bond will not be released unless you meet all the requirements to rehabilitate the site where the activity was conducted.
Calculating the bond
Your rehabilitation security bond allows for the total estimated cost for remediation of disturbances. You can calculate the bond using the rehabilitation security assessment template
Paying the security bond
You must pay the security bond before any petroleum activity starts.
You can pay using one of the following methods:
- credit card (Visa or Mastercard)
- direct debit - call the Department of Primary Industry and Resources on 08 8999 5263 for account details
- cheque or money order payable to the Receiver of Territory Monies.
An invoice will be raised on request.
Submit a bank guarantee
If you submit a bank guarantee for a security bond, it must:
- be made by an authorised bank under the Banking Act 1959 - go to the Department of Treasury and Finance website
- be in favour of the Northern Territory of Australia
- be unconditional, irrevocable, payable on demand and have no expiry date
- include the name of the operator
- include the relevant petroleum title
- include the reason for the security
- include the dollar amount of security.
You should email the draft bank guarantee for review to firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting to the department.
Bank guarantees, money orders and cheques can be sent by mail to the department's Darwin postal address.
Last updated: 27 November 2018