Environmental management plan
You must submit an environmental management plan (EMP) prior to any petroleum exploration or production activity.
Approved environmental management plans are made public and are legally binding documents.
Environmental management plans approved prior to the commencement of the regulations will be deemed to be approved plans for a period of 18 months until 1 December 2017.
Content of EMP
Your EMP must include all of the following:
- a description of activities, the existing environment and potential
environmental risks and environmental impacts
- appropriate environmental outcomes, environmental performance
standards and measurement criteria
- appropriate implementation strategy and monitoring, recording and
- demonstrate that there has been an appropriate level of engagement with directly
affected stakeholders in developing the plan
- complies with the Petroleum Act 1984, the Petroleum (Environment) Regulations 2016 and applicable NT statutes.
Get the guide to petroleum environmental regulations for more detailed information on the content of the EMP.
The EMP executive summary
You must include an executive summary in the final version of your EMP.
The executive summary should be approximately 5-10 pages in length and include the following:
- co-ordinates and locality maps (legible and at an appropriate scale) of the activity
- description of the receiving environment
- description of the activity (including best environmental practice)
- major environmental risks/impacts and controls
- details of any chemicals or other substances that may be in, or added to, any
treatment fluids to be used for the purposes of hydraulic fracturing undertaken in the
course of the activity, or introduced into a well, reservoir or subsurface formation in
the course of the activity
- an overall description of the management approach
- the environmental outcomes in relation to the activity
- a list of stakeholders
- advice on consultation undertaken and provision for ongoing consultation
- contact details of the interest holder’s nominated liaison personnel for the activity
- any other information as requested by the department.
How to apply for consent
In the EMP you submit you must include:
- a version number or document reference
- a document revision history
- project proponent details
- a document distribution list
The EMP should be submitted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
You can contact the Petroleum Operations Team by calling 08 8999 7348 or the Senior Director Petroleum Technology and Operations 08 8999 6567 for further information.
Last updated: 15 August 2016