Security and levy

This page has information on the mining security and annual levy.


You must pay a security as a condition of a mining authorisation.

A mining operator must rectify any environmental harm caused by mining and progressively rehabilitate the affected area during operation and/or once mining has ceased.

A security is a bond to make sure you meet your environmental obligations. If you don't, the money will be used to prevent, minimise or rectify environmental harm from mining, or rehabilitate a mine site.

The department sets the size of the security to reflect the potential cost of rehabilitating the mining site. 

If you can demonstrate successful rehabilitation on your mining site you may request the refund of some of your security.

How to calculate securities

To understand how securities are calculated. 

Get the security calculation procedure guide.

Security calculation procedure guide PDF (47.8 KB) 

You can calculate securities for the project types listed below by using the following spreadsheet-based tools.

Get the tools.

Exploration operations XLSX (82.7 KB)
Mining operations XLSX (138.6 KB)
Extractive operations XLSX (71.5 KB)

How to pay securities

Operators must pay 100% of the security calculated for rehabilitation before a mining management plan is approved or an authorisation is issued.

You can pay the security by cash, credit card, cheque, money order or bank guarantee.

Make cheques and money order payable to the Receiver of Territory Monies.

Bank guarantees, money orders and cheques may be posted to:

Department of Primary Industry and Resources
GPO Box 4550
Darwin NT 0801

Direct debits can be paid using the details listed below:

  • Account name: Department of Primary Industry and Resources
    Financial Institution: National Australia Bank
    Branch No. (BSB): 085 461
    Account Number: 932610008
    Use the Authorisation reference number as the transaction reference. 

Other types of payment can be made in person, from 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

The Mineral Titles front counter
5th Floor Centrepoint Building
48 Smith St
Darwin NT 0800

Bank guarantees

A bank guarantee must be provided by an Australian bank. It should be made out to the Minister for Primary Industry and Resources, have no expiry date and refer to the mining authorisation number as advised by the department.

Do not include titles or project names on the guarantee.

You will also need to provide proof the guarantee has been signed by an authorised officer of the financial institution and that they have authority to issue the type, form and amount of security.

Reference number

All payments must quote the authorisation reference number provided by the department to make sure the payment is recorded against your authorisation.

Interest on security deposits

Security deposits are held in trust by the department. No interest is paid.

Annual Levy

Mining operators must pay an annual levy to fund work to address the environmental impacts left by mines that were not adequately rehabilitated in the past.

The non-refundable levy is equivalent to 1% of the total amount of the security held on 1 July each year for each site authorised under the Mining Management Act.

How the levy works

The levy is calculated on the amount of the security held for each mine site at 1 July each year. The amount of the levy will not change during the year even if the security increases.

For large levy amounts, operators can pay quarterly instalments or make other arrangements with the department.

What the money is used for

The levy funds go into the Mining Remediation Fund to rectify or minimise the environmental impacts of mining sites that were inadequately rehabilitated before mining securities were introduced in 2005, or were otherwise unfunded.

The levy also funds the department's Legacy Mines Unit to undertake remediation work.

Go to the Department of Primary Industry and Resources website for more information on legacy mines and the security and levy.

Last updated: 11 March 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.