Surveys of mineral title boundaries

For some mineral titles, you will need to survey your proposed area before your title can be granted. 

There are two types of surveys:

  • detailed survey carried out by a licensed surveyor
  • the marking out (or pegging) survey method.

The type of survey you need will depend on the type of title you are applying for.

For the proposed area of an extractive mineral permit, some mineral leases or extractive mineral leases you must use the pegging survey method.  

Larger mineral leases and extractive mineral leases require a more detailed survey.  

Licensed survey method

This must be carried out by a licensed surveyor and approved by the Surveyor General. 

You must supply a certified copy of the survey plan to the department.

A licensed survey can cost a significant amount of money.

Marking out or pegging survey

This method used a datum post and boundary markers.

You must place a boundary marker at each corner of the area which must be either a substantial metal post, or a cairn of stones at least one metre above the ground.

The datum post, being the North Eastern corner post must have a metal plate attached which has all of the following information clearly written on it:

  • the type and number of the application eg EMP 12345, 
  • size of the area 
  • the full name and address of the applicant.

Latitudes and longitudes of the area must also be provided.

Last updated: 01 September 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!