Current geothermal applications

A company can apply to the Minister for Mining and Industry for a permit to explore geothermal energy resources in the Northern Territory.

After considering an application, the minister must publish a notice in a Territory newspaper.

Your rights

If you're an owner or occupier of land within or adjoining the application area, you can object in writing to a permit being granted by a certain date.

An owner includes any of the following:

  • a person registered under the Land Titles Act 2000 as the owner of the land
  • a person who has a legal or equitable interest in the land
  • an Aboriginal Land Trust for the land
  • a native title holder or registered native title claimant in relation to the land.

Anyone can make written submissions about an application. This can be feedback or a letter of support.

Current applications

There are currently no applications open for public comment.

How to object or submit feedback

Send your objection or submission by email to or mail to:

Director Petroleum Tenure
Energy Development Branch
Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade
GPO Box 4550
Darwin NT 0801

After you submit

A copy of each objection or submission will be provided to the applicant. The applicant may provide a response to the:

  • minister and
  • person who made the objection or submission.

The minister will consider any objections and submissions, and determine whether to grant or refuse the permit application.


For more information email

Last updated: 13 August 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!