Apply for pest management technician licence

Provisional licence

You may be given a provisional licence before you get your full pest management technician licence in the Northern Territory (NT).

Whether you are issued a provisional or full licence depends on your knowledge, experience and qualifications. 

Who can apply

You can get a provisional licence if you are employed by a fully licensed pest management technician.

You can't own a pest control business and employ a licensed technician to train you as this is considered to be a conflict of interest. 


If you have a provisional licence you must be supervised by a fully licensed pest management technician who is within a reasonable day's travel to your work location.

The supervising technician must be able to go to any work location to assess the situation and give advice if necessary. 


If you have a provisional licence you can use a range of unscheduled, schedule 5 and 6 pesticides while employed by and under direction of a licensed pest management technician. 

If you use schedule 7 substances such as arsenic and termiticides you must be under direct shoulder-to-shoulder supervision of a licensed pest management technician. 

All pest control procedures must be carried out in accordance with the pest management guidelines.

How long your licence is valid for

This licence is valid for 12 months. It may be renewed for another 12 months. 

You must be able to demonstrate you have made every effort to get your full pest management technician licence within the 12 month period.

Documents you will need

You must provide all of the following:

  • proof of enrolment in Certificate III Pest Management competency units five, six and 18
  • proof of successfully completed ChemCert, SMARTtrain or AusCHem
  • a certified photograph
  • a written employment agreement with your supervising technician - it should demonstrate 100 hours of shoulder-to-shoulder practical experience with them. 

How to apply

Follow these steps to apply:

Step 1. Fill in the pest management technician licence application form

Step 2. Check the fee.

Step 3. Submit your form, fee and supporting documents to:

The Manager
Medicines and Poisons Control
Department of Health
PO Box 40596
Casuarina NT 0811  
Phone: (08) 8922 7341
Fax: (08) 8922 7200.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 21 September 2015


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.