Advertising for escorts
Escort agency operators in the Northern Territory (NT) must follow advertising guidelines.
Escort agency advertising should be kept simple to avoid offending children or other members of the public.
Where you can advertise
You can advertise escort services in the classifieds section of a newspaper.
The NT News does not allow website addresses and email addresses in its advertisements.
Where to list your newspaper advertisement
Escort services advertisements must appear under one of the following headings:
- escort services
- adult entertainment.
Newspaper advertisement restrictions
Escort agency advertisements must be no larger than 3.5cm x 4.5cm.
Advertisements must not contain any of the following:
- photographs or illustrations that display more than a person's head and shoulders
- references to the race, colour or ethnic origin of the person offering sex work
- references to the age of the person offering sex work
- references to physical attributes of the person offering sex work
- references to 'massage' or 'masseur' or other forms of those words unless preceded by the word 'erotic'.
You can use t-shirts to advertise basic information such as:
- agency name
- phone number.
Do not include any text or images that might embarrass minors or other members of the public if they saw the t-shirt worn in the street.
You are allowed to sponsor sporting events or charity events provided that you:
- keep advertising simple
- do not advertise on radio or TV.
You can hand out business cards provided you do not mention sex work. It is fine to mention escort agency services.
Where you cannot advertise
You cannot advertise escort services on television or radio.
Advertising for sex workers
You cannot publish, or cause to be published, an advertisement that is likely to encourage a person to:
- seek employment as a sex worker
- or provide prostitution services for clients of a business that arranges such services.
You can advertise for employees in non-escort roles. However, you must clearly state that the job does not involve providing prostitution services.
Other advertising rules
You must include your agency name with any advertising.
You must not use any of the following words to advertise an escort agency:
- rear entry
- well hung.
Last updated: 01 February 2019