Make changes to licensed premises

If you have a liquor licence and want to make changes to your premises, you need approval from Licensing NT before you start work.

When to get approval

You need written approval for all material alterations. A material alteration is a non-cosmetic change to the inside or outside of your venue.

This includes:

  • changes that require building certification, including new outdoor beer gardens or al fresco areas
  • adding extra rooms
  • removing or installing walls
  • installing a new bar
  • increasing the size of an existing bar
  • building or removing walls around the property
  • all changes that increase or reduce the size of the approved licensed area.

You don't need approval for cosmetic changes like repainting, new tiles or new carpet.

Before you apply

Do not make material alterations before you get approval. 

If you do not get approval you may have to pay to: 

  • remove the alteration
  • or restore your venue to an acceptable condition.

How to apply

To apply follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in the application for material alteration form. 

Step 2. Send your form and supporting documentation to Licensing NT.

After you apply

Licensing NT will tell you how to advertise your application. This will involve displaying a notice of application outside your venue. It may also involve publishing a notice in a newspaper. 

Local authorities like Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services will also be invited to comment on your application. 

If your application is successful

Licensing inspectors may visit your premises before, during and after the changes are made.

Last updated: 28 November 2017