Apply to be restricted licensed premises

Changes to the NT Liquor Act

On 1 October 2019, liquor laws changed in the Northern Territory (NT).

Find out about changes to the NT liquor laws.

If you want to limit or ban alcohol from a property, you can apply to make it a restricted premises.

This makes it illegal to drink or have alcohol at that place.

You can apply these conditions on a private premises – for example, a person’s house, or a commercial premises.


You can apply to restrict your entire house or a specific part of the premises such as:

  • unit level
  • courtyard
  • veranda
  • porch
  • garden or yard.

You can also restrict your private land including any building or structure on the land that is open or used by the public.

You can apply to restrict alcohol at the following public places:

  • Crown land that is leased or used under a licence or agreement
  • a retail shopping centre
  • a church or other building owned by a religious body and used for public worship
  • a hospital or other place being used by health services
  • a school or other education premises
  • any land, premises or other place prescribed by regulation.

You can apply if you occupy or own the place.

To apply to make a property a restricted premises, follow these steps:

Step 1. Contact Licensing NT for an interview.

They will explain the process to you and consult with all occupiers and owners of the place, including NT Police.

Step 2. Fill in and sign the declaration of restricted premises form.

Make sure you describe the property and explain why you want it restricted.

Declaration of restricted premises form PDF (817.9 KB)
Declaration of restricted premises form DOCX (682.0 KB)

Step 3. Attach a copy of the current lease or other proof that you own or occupy the premises.

Step 4. Submit your form to Licensing NT by emailing it to or fax to 08 8999 7498.

After you apply, the Director of Liquor Licensing will decide whether or not to declare the premises restricted.

When deciding, the Director will consider:

  • your application
  • any feedback received from people who were consulted about your application.

If your application is approved, a restricted premises sign will go up within 14 days of the approval.

Once the sign is shown at the premises, the restriction applies and alcohol is not allowed there.

If you want to have this changed or the sign taken down, you must contact Licensing NT.

You are not allowed to take the sign down yourself and it is an offence to do so.

To remove a restricted premises sign, you must write to Licensing NT asking for permission.

You can contact Licensing NT if you are:

  • the person who applied for the restriction or
  • the applicant’s representative.

After you apply, the Director of Liquor Licensing will decide whether or not the restricted premises sign will be removed and let you know.

Last updated: 16 October 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.