All food businesses in the Northern Territory must have a separate basin for handwashing.
How to set up a handwashing basin
Your handwashing basin must:
- be a permanent fixture
- connected to hot and cold running potable water
- of a size that allows easy, effective hand washing. A basin with a capacity of 11 litres, with dimensions of 500mm by 400mm is adequate
- clearly designated for washing hands, arms and faces only.
How to wash hands effectively
You should wash your hands often when working with food and drink.
You can wash your hands effectively by:
- scrubbing them for approximately 15 to 20 seconds with warm running water and soap
- and drying them with clean paper towels or an air dryer.
For more information contact Environmental Health.
Last updated: 02 August 2018