Who can apply for an escort agency licence
You can apply for an escort agency licence as an individual or registered company.
To be an escort agency operator or manager, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- be over 18 years old
- be a Northern Territory resident
- have not committed a disqualifying offence - see below
- not be in a personal or business relationship with someone with a criminal history
You cannot apply for an escort agency licence if you have committed any of these offences at any time:
- forcing an adult to become or remain a sex worker
- forcing an adult to provide financial support out of prostitution
- causing or inducing an infant to take part in providing prostitution services
- allowing an infant to take part in prostitution
- obtaining payment in respect of prostitution services provided by an infant
- entering into an agreement to provide prostitution services by an infant
- sexual intercourse or gross indecency involving a child under 16 years
- sexual intercourse or gross indecency involving a child over 16 years under special care
- sexual intercourse or gross indecency by a provider or services to a mentally ill or handicapped person
- attempts to procure a child under 16 years
- indecent dealing with a child under 16 years
- sexual intercourse and gross indecency without consent
- abduction, enticement or detention of a child under 16 years for immoral purpose.
Read the prostitution regulation laws.
Other disqualifying offences
You cannot apply for an escort agency licence if you have committed any of the following offences in the last ten years:
- supplying a dangerous drug
- receiving or possessing tainted property
- drug cultivation
- drug manufacture and production
- drug possession
- theft of dangerous drug.
You can run an independent escort agency business without a licence if:
- you arrange prostitution services for yourself and no one else
- you do not operate the escort agency business in partnership, or in association with any other person
- you are the only person employed by the escort agency business.
Escort agency operator licence
All escort agencies need an operator licence.
Escort agency manager licence
If you own an escort agency business but do not manage its day-to-day operations then you must employ a person as a manager. That person must have a manager's licence.
If the escort agency business owner is a company then it must employ a person as a manager. That person must have a manager's licence.
Last updated: 22 December 2015