Starting a food business
If you are starting a new food business or making substantial alterations to an existing food business in the Northern Territory (NT), you must make the building plans meet food safety standards.
Lodging building plans
You must lodge building plans through an approved building certifier when you:
- start a new food business
- or make significant alterations to an existing business.
What to include in your building plan
Building plans must include all of the following:
- a separate wash hand basin in all food preparation areas
- hot and cold water to all sinks
- soap and paper towels
- appropriate sanitary facilities for staff, separate from sanitary facilities for the public
- lighting to a minimum of 300 Lux
- approved ventilation systems for cooking appliances.
How building plans are assessed
Environmental Health Officers will assess your building plans against Australian standards.
For more information contact Environmental Health.
Last updated: 06 August 2019