Starting a food business

If you are starting a new food business or making substantial alterations to an existing food business in the Northern Territory (NT), you must make the building plans meet food safety standards.

Lodging building plans 

You must lodge building plans through an approved building certifier when you:

  • start a new food business
  • or make significant alterations to an existing business.

What to include in your building plan

Building plans must include all of the following:

  • a separate wash hand basin in all food preparation areas
  • hot and cold water to all sinks
  • soap and paper towels
  • appropriate sanitary facilities for staff, separate from sanitary facilities for the public
  • lighting to a minimum of 300 Lux
  • approved ventilation systems for cooking appliances.

How building plans are assessed

Environmental Health Officers will assess your building plans against Australian standards.

For more information contact Environmental Health.

Last updated: 22 September 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.