Accommodation businesses


If you run a commercial visitor accommodation business in the Northern Territory (NT), you must comply with health regulations.

All commercial visitor accommodation businesses in the NT must be registered.

A visitor accommodation business is one that provides accommodation for seven or more visitors for payment or reward but are not:

Examples include all of the following:

  • hotels
  • motels
  • serviced apartments
  • road houses
  • wayside inns
  • lodges
  • hostels
  • backpacker accommodation
  • cabins.

What is not commercial visitor accommodation

The following are not commercial visitor accommodation:

  • small bed and breakfasts
  • staff accommodation
  • student accommodation.

More information

Read the Public and Environmental Health Regulations 2014.

Get the Public and Environmental Health Guidelines for Public Accommodation from the Department of Health digital library.

For more information contact Environmental Health.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 07 August 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.