Hide menu

Apply for a casino employee licence

You must have a licence to work in a casino's gaming and gaming machine operations.  

You must be over 18 years old and meet strict character and background standards.

What kind of licence to apply for

There are three types of licences:  

  • key licence - for managers
  • standard licence - for all employees working in a casino on gaming operations including as croupier, cashier, security/surveillance or administration
  • trainee licence - for people undergoing training.

How to apply

You can only apply for a licence once you are actually offered a job by a licensed casino. 

You will have to undergo a police check and fingerprinting, give detailed personal and financial information about yourself and be interviewed by a Licensing NT officer.

You will need to do all of the following steps.


Fill in all of the following forms, which you get from the casino that is employing you:

  • a licence application form
  • an authority to get information and an authority to release information - these give permission to inspectors or police to look at records about you.

Police history check and fingerprinting

You must apply to NT police for a criminal history check and also get fingerprinted.

Read about how to get a criminal history name and fingerprint check.  

Send in your application

Take or send in your completed application and other forms to a Territory Business Centre along with the fee for the type of license you are applying for.

Include all of the following documents and information:

  • your birth certificate / extract or current passport or refugee certificate or naturalisation certificate
  • evidence of any name change
  • three identical passport photographs
  • details of any arrests, detentions or court proceedings
  • addresses you have lived at during the past five years
  • details of previous jobs
  • a list of what you own (assets) and any debts or loans you have (liabilities).

Processing time

It can take up to five days to process your application.  During this time Licensing NT will carry out a probity check on you.

Read more about probity checks.

They will also assess your skills, qualifications, knowledge and experience to see if you are competent to do your proposed job.  

You don't have to have previous knowledge or skills to get a licence, but experience in the tourism/hospitality industries or training as a croupier or security officer would count in your favour. 

Licence validity and renewal

​Full licences are valid for five years unless cancelled or suspended. To renew your licence, complete a renewal form which you get from your employer, and pay the relevant fee.

You may also have to fill in a national Police checking service informed consent form.

National police checking service informed consent form (59.4 kb)
National police checking service informed consent form (90.4 kb)

 A non-renewable provisional licence is valid for a period not exceeding 12 months.  

Licence only valid in the NT

​This licence may help you get the same kind of licence in another state, however, the licence is for the Territory and is not automatically recognised by other states.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 30 March 2016


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.