Funding to attract critical workers
If you're an eligible business, you can can apply for funding to attract workers to move to the Northern Territory (NT).
As part of the Work Stay Play program, you can:
- apply for up to 20 eligible workers and
- receive a $1,000 once-off payment for each of them.
Who can apply
The program is aimed at NT businesses and critical work sectors.
An eligible employer is a business that:
- is a legal entity, with or without a registered business name
- holds a valid Australian business number
- has an annual turnover between $75,000 and $10 million
- has a physical address in the NT
- has successfully registered with the department.
Read the terms and conditions updated on 7 March 2022.
An eligible worker is a person who:
- has relocated from outside the NT to take up employment with an eligible employer and
- is either:
- an Australian citizen
- a permanent resident or
- otherwise legally authorised to work in Australia
- is not related to or a relative of the employer.
You must demonstrate that the worker has completed:
- an average of 30 hours per week over 8 consecutive weeks or
- at least 30 hours per week for a minimum of 8 weeks over a 10-week period.
How to apply
To apply, follow these steps:
Step 1. Read the terms and conditions.
Step 2. Register on the SmartyGrants website.
Registrations open on Monday 21 March 2022.
Information you will need
Eligible employers will need to include the following information on their application:
- their legal name and trading name (if any)
- Australian business number (ABN)
- vendor ID
- if you're not registered with the NT Government, go to InvoiceNTG
- physical address they operate from in the NT
- name of a general manager or other person in charge of the business
- name and contact number of contact person for participation in the program
- details of their eligible workers.
Employers will also be required to provide a statutory declaration as part of their application for funding and provide proof of employment of eligible workers.
If requested by the government, employers must:
- verify details of any employees who have or will receive payments under the program
- provide evidence of the worker's relocation to the NT
- provide evidence of full payments made to the eligible worker.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements
From 25 December 2021, vaccination requirements will apply to all:
- NT Government contractors
- grant recipients.
To find out more, read the conditions of contract for COVID-19 mandatory requirements.
For all Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade grants, an extra declaration will be added to the terms and conditions.
Applicants must confirm they are meeting the directions of the policy. The department may ask for proof to check compliance.
Last updated: 13 May 2022
Share this page:URL copied!