Keeping horses

Moving horses in the NT

Horses, mules and donkeys can carry cattle ticks. There are restrictions on how and when they can be moved.

If you want to move horses, mules and donkeys within the Northern Territory (NT) you must do all of the following:

Treatment for ticks before moving a horse

You must get a livestock biosecurity officer to inspect and treat your horse for cattle tick before you can move it from the tick-infected zone into the control or tick-free zones.

Contact a livestock biosecurity officer in your region to arrange a time for inspection and treatment.

You must give at least three days notice and you must then move the horse no more than two days after the treatment.

Livestock biosecurity officers

Darwin 08 8999 2034

Katherine 08 8973 9767 or 08 8973 9765

Tennant Creek  08 8962 4458 or 08 8962 4492

Alice Springs  08 8951 8125

You must pay a fee for inspection and treatment outside business hours. Refer to the list of biosecurity services fees.

Read the Agnote cattle ticks PDF (258.5 KB).

Read the Agnote movement of horses in the NT in relation to cattle ticks PDF (128.5 KB).

Bringing horses to Australia

You can only import horses to Australia from countries that have been approved by the Australian Government's Department of Agriculture and Water Resources, and they must meet all of the department's import conditions.

For information about how to import live horses to Australia go to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 20 May 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!