Keeping horses, donkeys and mules

Donkey control and commercial farming

This page has information for people who want to know more about feral donkey control or commercial farming in the Northern Territory (NT).

Donkeys are classed as a feral animal under the Territory Parks and Wildlife Conservation Act 1976.

It is against the law to release donkeys into the wild.

Managing feral donkey herds

In the NT, feral donkey numbers are kept down through:

  • aerial control
  • ground culling
  • trapping and selling
  • non-lethal fertility control

To find out where feral donkeys are found in the NT, look at the NT donkey distribution map JPG (631.2 KB).

Farming feral donkeys

If you want to catch feral donkeys inside NT parks and reserves for commercial harvesting or if you want to farm them, you can contact the Parks and Wildlife Commission to discuss your proposal.

Go to the Parks and Wildlife Commission website for contact information.

For more information about donkey farming in the NT, read:

Information for prospective investors in donkey farming, processing and export of donkey products in the Northern Territory DOCX (223.1 KB).

Also view the commercial donkey enterprise road map DOCX (148.5 KB).

You can also read more about processing donkeys for export DOCX (251.0 KB).


David Frost
Senior Meat Industries Officer
Department of Primary Industry and Resources
GPO Box 3000, Darwin NT
Phone: 08 8999 2255

Linda Lee
Director Agribusiness Development
Department of Primary Industry and Resources
Northern Territory Government
Phone: 08 8999 6058

Chris Mouat
Director Investment Services
Office of Asian Engagement, Trade and Investment
Department of Trade, Business and Innovation
Northern Territory Government
Phone: 08 8999 7806

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 04 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.