Brand and identify livestock
Register a distinctive (symbol) brand
You must have a registered Northern Territory (NT) three-letter brand before you can apply for a distinctive symbol brand.
You can register up to three distinctive symbol brands for each three-letter brand.
Once registered, a symbol brand can be used with the three-letter brand or on its own.
What a symbol brand must look like
A symbol brand must have all of the following characteristics:
- if using letters, it must be two letters with a symbol above, under or beside the letters - you can no longer use single letters.
- it must be a symbol design unique to the NT.
- it must be able to produce a clear brand - if the registrar thinks a design would not produce a legible brand, it will not be registered.
A symbol brand must not be three equal-sized letters or characters, or a three-character brand registered in another state.
Construction and size of symbol brand
The brand must meet the following specifications:
- be from 4cm to 12cm high and wide
- the imprint/contact surface of the iron is to be between 3mm and 4mm wide.
To make sure the brand is clear, keep any adjacent lines at least 20mm apart to avoid blotching.
How to apply
To register a distinctive symbol as a brand, follow these steps:
Step 1. Fill in the application for distinctive (symbol) brand for horses and cattle:
It must be signed by the registered owner of the three-letter brand.
Step 2. Attach supporting documents - you must include:
- a full scale drawn image of the proposed symbol brand
- details of what type of animals will be branded and where on the animal the brand will be applied.
Step 3. You must have permission from the owner of the nominated property.
If you're not the registered owner of the land, you must fill in and submit the owner's permission to use run form .
Step 4. Pay the fee - attach a cheque made out to the Receiver of Territory Monies or fill in the credit card charge details in the application.
Step 5. Submit the application by post or email:
Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade
GPO Box 3000
Darwin NT 0801
Last updated: 28 September 2020
Share this page: