Beneficial use categories
There are seven categories used to describe values for groundwater and surface water.
The same water quality is not needed for all types of water use.
The seven categories are:
- Agriculture - provide irrigation water for primary production, including related research.
- Aquaculture - provide water for commercial production of aquatic animals, including related research.
- Public water supply - provide water for drinking through community water supply systems.
- Environment - provide water to keep the health of aquatic ecosystems.
- Cultural - provide water to meet aesthetic, recreational and cultural needs.
- Industry - provide water for industry, including secondary industry and a mining or petroleum activity and other industry uses.
- Rural stock and domestic - provide rights and ownership rights to take water for domestic and/or stock purposes.