Water extraction licence: rules and responsibilities

If you have a water extraction licence in the Northern Territory, you have certain responsibilities and rules to follow.

This includes reporting meter readings to Water Resources.

Your responsibilities

As a licence holder, you must do all of the following:

  • install and maintain a working water meter on each extraction point
    • an extraction point is a bore, pump or well
  • submit a meter reading for a water extraction licence
  • make sure you don’t exceed your licensed allocation
  • apply for an increase in your water limit if needed
  • seek approval before using inline chemigation or fertigation systems
  • apply to renew your licence before it expires.

Report your meter readings

You will get an email reminder each month to submit your water use.

Meter readings are due before the 14th of the following month.

For example, a January meter reading is due before 14 February.

How to report

Water meter readings are submitted through the My Meter App - an online web-based portal.

Find out how to submit a meter reading.

If you don’t report your water use

If you don’t report your water use, you may get an infringement under the Water Act 1992.

An infringement for failing to report your water use is:

  • 5 penalty units ($785) for an individual
  • 10 penalty units ($1,570) for a body corporate.


Contact Water Resources Licensing and Regulation branch on 08 8999 4455 or email water.regulation@nt.gov.au.

Last updated: 25 January 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!