Apply for water extraction licence

When you need a water extraction licence

A water extraction licence lets you take or use water using a bore or river pump system.

Water licences are not attached to land, although the licence does state what property the water is to be used on.

When you don't need a water licence

You don't need a water licence if you are using the water for any of the following uses:

  • stock and domestic
  • road construction and/or maintenance.

In Alice Springs and Daly/Roper River water control districts you don't need a groundwater extraction licence if you are using less than 5 megalitres of groundwater on your property each year.

When you need a water licence

You need a water licence for any of the following:

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 27 March 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.