Apply for water extraction licence
Apply for a groundwater extraction licence
This page has information to help you apply for a licence to take or use groundwater.
Before you apply you should consider all of the following:
- a water licence is usually granted for 10 years, but longer term licences can be approved in special circumstances
- it can take at least three to four months to process your application for a new or increased licence
- if your application is refused you can appeal a water licence decision.
You will need to attach all of the following to your application form:
- a map with the location of existing or proposed bores, the location where the water is to be used, the method and route of moving the water and the lands in the immediate area - this includes lot, portion, section, lease numbers and boundaries
- a property development plan.
If your application has information that you believe is commercially confidential, you can apply for this information to be withheld from the public register.
To apply you must fill in the commercially confidential information form.
Submit the application to:
Water Licensing and Regulation Branch
PO Box 496
Palmerston, NT 0831
Last updated: 28 June 2019
Share this page: