Apply for a road safety grant

The Towards Zero Road Safety Grants program offers funding for community projects that improve or promote road safety in our community and organisations.

Types of grants

There are two types of grants you can apply for.

Quick response grants

Grants between $500 and $1,000 are available for activities or events that encourage and engage the community in responsible road user behaviours and cultures.

Community grants

Community grants up to $5,000 are available for activities and events taking place in 2018.

Applications seeking more funding for large scale or more complex initiatives will also be assessed and may be approved under specific conditions.

Who can apply?

Not-for-profit organisations, local governments, schools, sporting clubs or community groups based in the Northern Territory can apply.

Organisations must:

  • be incorporated under the NT Associations Act 2003
  • or have an auspicing body that is incorporated under the NT Associations Act that is willing to accept responsibility for administration, reporting and acquittal of the grant on the applicant’s behalf.

You cannot apply as an individual or commercial organisation.

What you can apply for

You can apply for funding for the following:

  • promotional activities that raise awareness and promote safe road user behaviours
  • educational activities and other resources that foster safe road user behaviours
  • initiatives, research or policies that influence positive responsible community behaviours and cultures
  • events or event initiatives that have a road safety outcome or promote road safety such as community safety day, vehicle health checks, safe transport home initiatives

Your project will need to have a clear link to at least one of the Toward Zero Road Safety Action Plan 2018-22 priority areas:

  • Speed, including driving to the conditions
  • Driver distraction, including mobile phones
  • Alcohol and drugs
  • Aboriginal people

What you can’t apply for

Projects that will not be funded include:

  • road engineering, infrastructure or capital works projects, including regulatory signage
  • any activity of political, commercial or business nature
  • set-up or running costs of a commercial business
  • purchase of capital equipment including hardware or software
  • development and maintenance of web sites
  • activities or events based outside the Northern Territory
  • retrospective funding for projects, functions, services that have already started or been purchased
  • activities by state or federal government agencies
  • wages/salaries including professional workforce development projects such as funding to attend training and conferences. Speaker fees of road safety experts can be funded.
  • events that involve gambling, unlawful activity or the consumption of alcohol. Road safety promotion  or safe transport home initiatives at such events can be funded.
  • projects that duplicate existing services available to the community
  • deficit budgets
  • items that the panel assess as not meeting the aims of the grants program.

When to apply

Applications for Quick Response grants open 23 March 2018 and close 30 November 2018.

Applications for Community grants open 23 March 2018 and close 4 May 2018.

How to apply

To apply for a community or quick response grant follow these steps.

Step 1. Read the grant program guidelines.

Step 2. Fill in a grant application form.

Step 3. Submit your grant application before the closing date. You can submit your application in any of the following ways:



Put the date on your application and send to:

Road Safety Grants program manager
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
PO Box 2520
Darwin NT 0801

In person

2nd Floor, Energy House
18-20 Cavenagh Street


For more information or assistance call the road safety grants program manager on 1800 720 144 or (08) 8924 7305, or email to

Last updated: 26 April 2018


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.