When your vehicle does not pass inspection

If your vehicle does not pass a roadworthy inspection and is unregistered, the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) may grant you a temporary licence for up to seven days.

This will allow you to get repairs done to your vehicle so it can pass another vehicle inspection.

How to apply for a temporary licence


Fill in and submit an R7 form application for a temporary licence to drive/tow an unregistered vehicle PDF (836.8 KB) including the route for your journey and your Visa or Mastercard details to mvr@nt.gov.au.

If you don't want to email your credit card details, you can pay the temporary licence fee by calling 1300 654 628 using Visa or Mastercard.

You will be given a receipt. This is your temporary licence. It must be kept with you at all times while driving in the NT.


Fax the application to 08 8999 3103. You can then pay the fee by calling 1300 654 628 using Visa or MasterCard.


Send your application to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

You can pay your fee by cheque or money order.

You can also call the MVR to pay by Visa or MasterCard once your application is received.

In person

You can submit your application at a MVR office. You can pay your fee by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.

For more information contact the MVR.

Last updated: 17 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.