Temporary licence for unregistered vehicle

You can apply for a temporary licence to drive an unregistered vehicle if you and your vehicle can meet all of the requirements to register a vehicle in the Northern Territory (NT).

The requirements are:

  • you hold the relevant class of licence for the vehicle you will be driving
  • the vehicle meets the minimum roadworthy standards
  • the licence is required for the purpose or relocation or repairs of the vehicle.

A temporary licence is not a substitute for normal vehicle registration. Read about temporary licence fees .

When a temporary licence can be used

A temporary licence may be used in any of the following circumstances:

  • an unregistered vehicle is to be relocated from one location to another
  • an unregistered vehicle is to be driven to a workshop associated with the service or repair of motor vehicles
  • a vehicle operating under a pastoral permit is to be transported to another location which is not approved under the pastoral permit issued to that vehicle
  • relocating unregistered caravans, mobile homes and other such vehicles primarily used as a dwelling from one location to another
  • relocating unregistered machinery or plant from one work-site to another
  • an unregistered vehicle is to be used to participate in an approved parade, procession or event
  • when a non-standard vehicle - generally a trailer - is being used to transport a non-standard load and approval is issued from the Motor Vehicle Registry 
  • a registered motor vehicle is to be used when a greater compensation contribution would normally be required - eg: when a standard registered vehicle is to be offered as a self-drive hire car
  • a vehicle or trailer is detected as unregistered and uninsured during an auditing process.

How to apply for a temporary licence


Fill in and submit an R7 form application for a temporary licence to drive/tow an unregistered vehicle (241.8 kb) including the route for your journey and your Visa or Mastercard details to mvr@nt.gov.au.

If you don't want to email your credit card details, you can pay the unregistered vehicle exemption fee by calling 1300 654 628 and using Visa or Mastercard.

You will be given a receipt. This is your temporary licence. It must be kept with you at all times while driving in the NT.


Fax the application to (08) 8999 3103. You can then pay the fee by calling 1300 654 628 and using Visa or MasterCard.


Send your application to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

You can pay your fee by cheque or money order. 

You can also call the MVR to pay by Visa or MasterCard once your application is received.

In person

You can submit your application at an MVR office. You can pay your fee by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.

For more information contact the MVR.

Last updated: 28 November 2017