Register an imported vehicle

About the personal import scheme

The personal import scheme is a concession that allows you to register a personally imported vehicle in Australia without needing to comply with all of the Australian Design Rules.

The vehicle must provide an accepted alternative minimum level of safety and must be in a roadworthy condition. It must also be fitted with a personal import plate.

Personally imported vehicles may be registered in the NT in right-hand or left-hand drive configuration.

To register a personally imported vehicle you need to submit your vehicle import approval, issued by the Federal Government.

The vehicle import approval includes all of the following:

  • owner's letter
  • registration authority letter
  • import plate manufacture letter.

You also need to keep a copy of your vehicle import approval and owner's letter in your vehicle.

Personal import plate

You will get a personal import plate after the vehicle has been inspected by the MVR.

Once the vehicle has passed inspection, the vehicle import approval will be signed by a MVR officer and returned to you.

You must forward these to an approved plate manufacturer who will then manufacture and issue the personal import plate. The plate manufacturer will send the personal import plate to you.

The vehicle must be re-inspected by an MVR inspector to finalise the registration process. You should consult an MVR inspector regarding the location and fitment of the plate.

Modify your imported vehicle

If you want to undergo modifications, or your imported vehicle has undergone modifications, it may be subject to an assessment. Go to vehicle modifications.

More information

For more information get a copy of V48 Imported vehicles PDF (281.1 KB)

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 17 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.