Number plates: apply or transfer plates

Apply for club vehicle plates

If your vehicle has club vehicle registration you must display red and white number plates.

Before you apply

You will need to come up with a combination of characters for your number plate.

You can order personalised or particular number plates.

Personalised plates for club vehicles

The plates are red and white with 'NT – motor enthusiast' on the bottom of the plate and 'Club' on the left vertical side.

For standard personalised club cars

The plates are 372mm x 133mm, with up to five characters with optional diamond, or six characters with no diamond.

For medium personalised club cars

The plates are 315mm x 133mm, with up to four characters with optional diamond or five characters with no diamond.

For personalised club motorcycles

The plates are 215mm x 97mm, with up to four characters with optional diamond or five characters with no diamond.

How to apply

You can apply online or fill in an application and submit it by email or in person. 


To order personalised club vehicle plates online go to MVR plates online.


Fill in and submit an R1 application for personalised plate PDF (572.0 KB) to

The MVR will call you to take a payment for your personalised plates fee by Visa or MasterCard.

Your plates should be ready for you to collect from an MVR office in six weeks.

Once you receive your plates you must fix them to your vehicle as soon as possible. 


You can send your application to:

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

You can send a cheque or money order to pay your fee, or you can ring the MVR to pay by MasterCard or Visa once your application is received.

In person

You can apply in person at a MVR office and pay your fee by MasterCard, Visa card, BasicsCard, cash or EFTPOS.


To find out more contact the MVR.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 27 October 2017

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.