Compulsory third party insurance

You must not drive or allow your vehicle to be driven unless it is covered by the appropriate third party insurance.

Third party insurance insures you for any medical costs relating to a crash in your vehicle.

You must pay your third party insurance as part of your vehicle registration fee.

It is your responsibility to ensure that the appropriate class of third party insurance is paid for your vehicle.

Classes of third party insurance

ClassVehicle type and use
AVehicle under 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass, used exclusively for private purposes
BVehicle designed to carry good exceeding 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass
CCommercial passenger vehicle - eg: taxi, minibus, motor Omnibus or tourist vehicle
ESelf-drive hire car, goods truck or bus
GMiscellaneous - eg: tow truck, club registered vehicle, pastoral permit
HTraders plate
JVisiting vehicle
KTemporary licences
LVehicles registered under the interstate Road Transport Act

Last updated: 16 March 2015

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.