Change your name on registration
You can change your name on your vehicle registration by supplying certain documents to the MVR.
Only original documents will be accepted. Copies or certified copies will not be accepted.
There is no fee to change your name on your registration.
To change your name you must have at least three documents to show your evidence of identity as well as:
- a change of name certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages
- or a deed poll certificate registered with relevant authority.
Change of name due to marriage or divorce
To change to or from a maiden name you need documents that link your married name and your maiden name together.
You must have at least three documents to show your evidence of identity as well as:
- a registration or certificate of the name change with Births, Deaths and Marriages
- a marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages
- or an order from a court producing a divorce decree.
Overseas marriage certificates, statutory declarations and commemorative marriage certificates won't be accepted as documents for evidence for name change.
If you are recorded on the MVR's database in both your maiden and married name, a statutory declaration may be accepted to revert back to a maiden name due to a separation or divorce.
Last updated: 17 February 2020
Share this page: