NT written off vehicle register

How to notify the MVR

You must notify the MVR within 14 days of your vehicle being declared a total loss by your insurance company (written off).

If you are not making an insurance claim on your vehicle, you must notify the MVR within 14 days of the date of the incident.

The MVR deals with queries and other business for written-off vehicles from Monday to Friday only.

To notify the MVR that your vehicle has been written off follow these steps.

Step 1. Complete written off vehicle advice

You will need to complete a written off vehicle advice.

Written off vehicle advice PDF (390.4 KB).

You can also fill in an M01 application to cancel registration form PDF (352.7 KB).

Step 2. Submit written off vehicle advice

You can submit a written off vehicle advice to nt.wovr@nt.gov.au.

Another person can also submit the written off vehicle advice on your behalf.

This includes any of the following:

  • the insurer that declared the vehicle to be a total loss under a contract of insurance
  • a licensed motor vehicle trader
  • a person approved by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles to assess damaged vehicles
  • a person who is qualified or accredited to assess damaged vehicles.

You can send your written off vehicle advice by mail or in person.


Send your written off vehicle advice form to:

Written Off Vehicle Register - vehicle compliance
GPO Box 2520
Darwin NT 0801

In person

You can submit your written off vehicle advice in person at a MVR office.

To find out more, contact the MVR.

More information

For more information, get a copy of V54 NT vehicle written-off vehicle register PDF (493.6 KB)

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 11 August 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!