Abandoned and stolen vehicles

Move or sell an abandoned vehicle

There are rules you must follow if you want to move or sell an abandoned vehicle.

Vehicles left in a public place

If a vehicle has been left in a public place, the competent authority will need to give the buyer a receipt of sale or proof or ownership document.

Vehicles left on private property

If the vehicle is independently valued over $7,000, you will need a court order to move or sell it.

If the vehicle is independently valued under $7,000, follow these steps:

Step 1. Complete the steps required in the Uncollected Goods Act 2004.

For a summary of the Act, read the uncollected goods fact sheet from the Northern Territory Consumer Affairs website.

Step 2. Fill in the R33 receipt under the Uncollected Goods Act PDF (380.9 KB) and give it to the buyer.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 29 May 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!