Apply to transfer abandoned vehicle to your name
What you need to apply
Vehicles abandoned in a public place or road
You will need to give the MVR a receipt of sale or proof or ownership document from a competent authority.
Vehicles abandoned on private property
You will need to fill in and submit the following forms:
You will also need to submit all of the following:
- Legal advice on letterhead from a law firm or legal practitioner
- a copy of the documents that the MVR supplied to you about the previous owner
- evidence of certified mail to last registered owner
- an encumbrance certificate (no outstanding loans on the vehicle)
- copies of the NT News public notices
- a vehicle inspection report (if applicable).
How to apply
You must apply in person at a MVR office.
After you apply
Your application will be assessed and you will be notified within 14 days if it has been successful.
A vehicle registration fee will also apply if the vehicle is unregistered.
You can pay your fees by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.
Last updated: 20 March 2018