Apply to transfer abandoned vehicle to your name

What you need to apply

Vehicles abandoned in a public place or road

You will need to give the MVR a receipt of sale or proof or ownership document from a competent authority.

Vehicles abandoned on private property

You will need to fill in and submit the following forms:

R11 Application to register a vehicle in the NT / Application to transfer NT registered vehicle

R45 Application to transfer a motor vehicle abandoned on private property.

You will also need to submit all of the following:

  • Legal advice on letterhead from a law firm or legal practitioner
  • a copy of the documents that the MVR supplied to you about the previous owner
  • evidence of certified mail to last registered owner
  • an encumbrance certificate (no outstanding loans on the vehicle)
  • copies of the NT News public notices
  • a vehicle inspection report (if applicable).

How to apply

You must apply in person at a MVR office.

After you apply

Your application will be assessed and you will be notified within 14 days if it has been successful.

If your application is successful, you will have to pay a transfer of ownership fee and stamp duty will apply. Go to calculate MVR stamp duty.

A vehicle registration fee will also apply if the vehicle is unregistered.

You can pay your fees by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.

Last updated: 20 March 2018