Abandoned vehicles on private property

If you want to move or sell a vehicle abandoned on your property you must:

  1. Get independent written legal advice.
  2. Make sure the vehicle has been abandoned for more than six months.
  3. Find the previous owner of the vehicle.

Once you have followed all three steps above, you can apply to transfer abandoned vehicle to your name.

Independent legal advice on abandoned vehicle

You must get legal advice if the vehicle is valued at more than $7000 as you will need a court order as evidence of transfer of ownership.

You must also get independent legal advice to make sure that the vehicle is not covered by any of the following legislation:

  • Residential Tenancies Act
  • Retirement Villages Act
  • Warehousemen’s Liens Act
  • Police Administrations Act
  • Justice Act
  • Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Act
  • Accommodation Providers Act.

Last updated: 28 November 2017