Third party insurance
You can apply for compulsory third party insurance for your visiting vehicle if you don't already have this insurance on your interstate registration.
You can also apply for third party insurance for your trailer if it is registered in another state or territory and not automatically covered by this insurance. This can occur in some instances when the vehicle and trailer are registered in different jurisdictions.
The following table shows where a particular vehicle or trailer combination is covered (Yes) or is not covered (No) by third party insurance from the home state.
|Registered in||Trailer registered in QLD||Trailer registered in NSW||Trailer registered in VIC||Trailer registered in TAS||Trailer registered in ACT||Trailer registered in SA||Trailer registered in WA||Trailer registered in NT|
|Vehicle registered in QLD||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes, 1||Yes||Yes|
|Vehicle registered in NSW||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes, 1||Yes||Yes|
|Vehicle registered in VIC||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes, 1||Yes||Yes|
|Vehicle registered in TAS||No, 1||No, 1||No, 1||Yes||Yes, 2||Yes, 1||Yes||Yes|
|Vehicle registered in ACT||No, 1||No, 1||No, 1||Yes, 3||Yes, 2||Yes, 1||Yes||Yes|
|Vehicle registered in SA||No, 1||No, 1||No, 1||Yes, 3||Yes, 2||Yes, 1||Yes||Yes|
|Vehicle registered in WA||No, 1||No, 1||No, 1||Yes, 3||Yes, 2||Yes, 1||Yes||Yes|
|Vehicle registered in NT||No, 1||No, 1||No, 1||Yes, 3||Yes, 2||Yes, 1||Yes||Yes|
- The trailer is not automatically covered by third party insurance, so a separate policy or certificate is required.
- The trailer is deemed to be covered by third party insurance through the vehicle towing it. There is no requirement for separate Third Party Insurance policy or certificate.
- Trailers are not insured if the trailer's unladen mass (tare) is 500kg or less. A separate third party insurance policy/certificate is required.
Before you apply
You will need to do the following:
- fill in and submit an R39 form Application for compulsory third party insurance for a visiting vehicle or trailer
- get a compliance check
- get a roadworthy inspection report
- a copy of your registration certificate for proof of ownership
- evidence of identity.
How to apply
Email your completed application, documents and Visa or MasterCard details to email@example.com.
You can also pay the compulsory third party insurance fee by phone 1300 654 628 using a Visa or MasterCard.
You will be given a receipt. This is your temporary licence. It must be kept with you at all times while driving in the NT.
Send your application and documents to (08) 8999 3103. You can then pay the fee by calling 1300 654 628 using Visa or MasterCard.
Send your application and documents to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can pay your fee with a cheque or money order. You can also ring the MVR to pay by Visa or MasterCard once your application is received.
You can submit your application and documents at a MVR office. You can pay your fee by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.
For more information contact the MVR.