Driver training vehicle: apply to fit dual control
You must apply to the MVR to fit dual control to a vehicle for the purpose of conducting driver training.
You must be an approved driver trainer or service provider to apply.
Before you apply
- Apply for technical advisory committee approval for your modifications.
- Ensure your modifications are installed and meet Australian Standards.
Technical advisory committee approval
The technical advisory committee (TAC) meets on the first Wednesday of each month (except January), and the closing date for applications is the close of business on the last Wednesday prior to the scheduled meeting. Although it should be noted that most driver training applications are handled 'out of session' of an ordinary meeting.
For more information read apply for technical advisory committee (TAC) approval.
You should read the Australian Standards 3954.1-1991 for dual control vehicles. You will need to pay a fee to access these standards online.
As a guide, the vehicle must have all of the following:
- a passenger's side brake pedal
- an additional internal rear vision mirror that the instructor can see traffic approaching from the rear - sun visor mounted vanity mirrors are not acceptable
- a clearly visible label fitted to the passenger's side of the dashboard carrying the words 'THIS VEHICLE IS FITTED WITH DUAL CONTROLS'.
The dual controls must be mounted according to all of the below:
- on a suitable structural section of the vehicle
- as close as possible to the same horizontal and vertical plane as the driver's side pedals
- so that travel and response is similar to those of the driver's side pedals.
Pedals, cables and pivots must be of equivalent strength, material and durability as original controls.
How to apply
You can email your completed application to modify a vehicle to email@example.com.
You can send your application to:
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can submit your application at a MVR office.
After you have applied
If your application is approved, you will be sent an approved in principle letter.
It should be noted that once the vehicle has been approved, the MVR will place a 'no transfers allowed' on its registration. This means the vehicle must be returned to standard before there is a change of ownership.
For more information contact the MVR office.
For more information get a copy of V55 Driver training vehicles - dual control fitment
Last updated: 28 November 2017