Abandoned vehicle on a public road or place

You should report an abandoned vehicle on a public road to the competent authority in charge of the area. Do not contact the MVR.

The competent authority will remove and dispose of the abandoned vehicle.

Below is a list of competent authorities you can contact to make a report.

Location of abandoned vehicleWho to contact (competent authority)
If the vehicle is causing danger, obstruction or inconvenienceNT Police
NT Government land including major roads such as the Stuart, Barkly and Victoria HighwaysDepartment of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
Council properties including most local or suburban roadsLocal council in your area
NT Parks and ReservesParks and Wildlife Commission of the NT
Crown landCrown Land Estate in the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
Aboriginal landLand councils – eg: the Northern Land Council, Central Land Council, Tiwi Land Council.
Territory Housing propertiesTerritory Housing office
Military landDepartment of Defence
Shopping complexThe management of the shopping complex.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 21 August 2017