Safety on a public bus
Report a bus incident
To report an incident on a bus, at a bus interchange, stop or shelter call a transit officer on 0457 507 558.
The transit officers work during the hours the bus network is operating.
If you need to report an incident outside of these hours, call the police on 131 444.
Security officers also patrol at the Casuarina, Darwin and Palmerston bus interchanges and the Woolworths bus stop on Cavenagh Street from mid-afternoon to network close, seven days a week.
Role of transit officer
A transit officer can do any of the following:
- direct a person engaged in unacceptable and anti-social behaviour to leave a bus, interchange or bus stop
- remove a person from a bus, bus stop or interchange
- ask for a person's name, address and date of birth if the officer reasonably believes the person may have committed an offence or they can assist in the investigation of an offence
- direct a person to comply with rules of behaviour on a bus
- require a person to get off a bus, keep away from a bus stop and use reasonable force if necessary
- issue on-the-spot fines
- arrest and detain a person (without warrant) where the officer believes on reasonable grounds the person has committed an offence warranting arrest
- search and seize dangerous articles from an arrested person.
CCTV cameras on buses and interchanges
CCTV cameras operate on all public buses, bus interchanges and park and ride facilities.
Customer feedback or complaints about CCTV systems can be made by submitting a feedback form on the Department of Transport website.
Last updated: 22 August 2016