Learn the road rules
You must learn the road rules before you take the theory test. This is called the driver knowledge test.
To learn the road rules, you can either:
- learn the road rules in the NT Road User's handbook and take a practice driver knowledge test.
- or enrol in DriveSafe NT - see below.
DriveSafe NT is a driver education training and licensing program for all motorists in Darwin, Palmerston Katherine and Alice Springs.
You have to pay a driver education enrolment fee before you enrol.
The DriveSafe NT program covers all driver education elements over a minimum of six months.
You have two years to complete the course once you are enrolled.
DriveSafe NT includes:
- six hours of theory to prepare for your driver knowledge test
- online tools to manage your driver training
- free learner and provisional licence
- DriveSafe NT participant pack
- 10 subsidised driving lesson e-vouchers to help with the cost of professional driving lessons
- two free driving tests.
- St John Ambulance NT online first aid course.
How to enrol for DriveSafe NT
To enrol, you must follow these steps or call you can call 1800 121 411
Step 1. Get evidence of identity and residency
Step 2. Fill in a DriveSafe NT enrolment form
Step 3. Fill in a licence application form
Step 4. Submit your forms together with your enrolment fee at an MVR office.
How to log-in for DriveSafe NT
If you have enrolled in the DriveSafe NT program, you can log in with your username and password by going to the DriveSafe NT website.