Get your motorcycle licence

Pay a fee and get your learner rider licence

When you have passed both the riders knowledge test and pre-learner practical test, you must pay the learner licence fee at a MVR office.

You can pay by any of the following:

  • Visa card or MasterCard
  • cash
  • cheque.

You will have your photo taken at the MVR office, unless you already hold a licence for another class such as a car licence.

Your learner rider licence will be processed at the MVR.

You can start riding once you have received your learner rider licence.

Your R class learner rider licence has conditions which include all of the following:

  • zero blood alcohol concentration
  • must not exceed 80km/h
  • display an L plate at the rear of the motorcycle you're riding
  • do not carry pillion passengers
  • only ride motorcycles approved for novice riders.

To get the list of approved motorcycles for novice riders, go to the New South Wales Government's website.

Read more about R class and other licence classes and conditions.

Once you have your learner licence, you will need to hold it for a minimum of six consecutive months immediately before you can sit your riding test to get your next stage class R licence.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 04 March 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!