Get your heavy vehicle licence
Apply for multi-combination licence - MC
To apply for a multi-combination (MC) licence, you must:
- hold a current Northern Territory (NT) driver licence
- have held a heavy rigid or heavy combination licence for at least one year
- learn to drive an MC vehicle from a driver who holds a current MC licence.
If you meet this eligibility, follow the steps below.
You must pass a training course with an approved HV training provider.
Once you pass, you will receive a statement of attainment.
You must pass a final competency assessment organised through your approved HV training provider.
The vehicle and trailer combination you use must be at least 22m in length and be loaded to at least 75% of the vehicle's gross combination mass (GCM).
It must be a prime mover of at least 3 axles with one of the following:
- a single semi-trailer of at least 3 axles and a b-double trailer of at least 3 axles
- a single semi-trailer of a least 3 axles attached to a converter dolly with a second semi-trailer of at least 3 axles.
You will be assessed while driving on a road train route in the NT.
You must show you can safely uncouple and re-couple the first and second trailer, and safely secure a load.
Once you pass, you will receive a final competency assessment form.
You can apply in person, by email or mail. You must provide your:
- statement of attainment
- final competency assessment form.
To apply in person, follow these steps:
Step 1. Go to an MVR office with your supporting documents.
Step 2. Pay your licence fee by MasterCard, Visa, cash, cheque or EFTPOS.
By email or mail
To apply by email or mail, you must pay by Visa or MasterCard.
To apply by email, follow these steps:
Step 1. Email your supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply by mail, follow these steps:
Step 1. Mail your supporting documents to Motor Vehicle Registry, GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801.
After you apply
Once your application has been processed, you will get a receipt as your authority to drive.
You must have this with you when driving until you receive your driver licence card.
It will be mailed to the address shown on your receipt.
Last updated: 17 November 2022
Share this page:URL copied!