Get your heavy vehicle licence
Apply for medium rigid licence - MR
To apply for a medium rigid (MR) licence, you must:
- hold a current Northern Territory (NT) driver licence
- have held a class C or a light rigid driver licence for at least one year
- learn to drive an MR vehicle from a driver who holds the same or higher heavy vehicle (HV) licence.
If you meet this eligibility, follow the steps below.
You must pass an eyesight test at one of the following:
- an MVR office
- with a health professional.
You can apply in person, by email or mail. You must provide:
- one of the following:
- statement of attainment and final competency assessment form
- competency test form
- eyesight test report from a health professional - if applicable.
To apply in person, follow these steps:
Step 1. Go to an MVR office with your supporting documents.
Step 2. Pay your licence fee by MasterCard, Visa, cash, cheque or EFTPOS.
By email or mail
To apply by email or mail, you must pay by Visa or MasterCard.
To apply by email, follow these steps:
Step 1. Email your supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply by mail, follow these steps:
Step 1. Mail your supporting documents to Motor Vehicle Registry, GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801.
After you apply
Once your application has been processed, you will get a receipt as your authority to drive.
You must have this with you when driving until you receive your driver licence card.
It will be mailed to the address shown on your receipt.
Last updated: 17 November 2022
Share this page:URL copied!