Accreditation in the NT: apply or renew
You can apply for accreditation to own and operate a taxi or commercial passenger vehicle (CPV) in the Northern Territory (NT). Your accreditation is valid for five years and can be renewed.
To be approved as an accredited operator, you must be considered fit and proper to be responsible for the operation of a CPV.
You can not transfer your accreditation to another person. Your accreditation may be cancelled if you are convicted of a disqualifying offence or are deemed not fit and proper to hold accreditation. Read about fit and proper assessment and disqualifying offences.
To apply for operator accreditation you must:
- complete an application or renewal of accreditation to operate commercial passenger vehicles.
- pay the accreditation fee
- complete an online national police certificate form supplied by Screening Assessment for Employment in the Northern Territory (NT) dated within six weeks
- provide a current insolvency check dated within six weeks.
Company or body corporate accreditation
In the case of a company, body corporate or an incorporated association, an operator must provide documentation to identify all partners, or all directors and managers, such as a Company Extract.
An operator will not be given accreditation if an individual or office bearer of a body corporate is any of the following:
- bankrupt or in the process of bankruptcy
- has been convicted of a disqualifying offence
- considered not fit and proper to hold accreditation.
How to apply
Fill in the application or renewal of accreditation to operate commercial passenger vehicles and email it with other supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can pay the fee using a MasterCard or Visa by calling 1300 654 628.
You can send your application and cheque or money order to:
Department of Transport
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can pay the fee by Visa or MasterCard by calling 1300 654 628 once the MVR has received your application form.
You can apply in person at a MVR office. You can pay your fee by MasterCard, Visa, EFTPOS or cash.