Operating or owning a commercial passenger vehicle

Registration of a CPV

To be registered as a commercial passenger vehicle (CPV) your vehicle must:

  • be registered in the Northern Territory (NT)
  • meet routine inspection and registration requirements of the MVR
  • be registered under the same name for the owner and commercial vehicle licence holder - for taxis, minibuses, private hire cars, limousines and special function vehicles.

A factory standard or unmodified production vehicle that is fitted with an Australian compliance plate may be approved as a CPV provided the vehicle:

  • complies with the CPV vehicle maintenance standards and guides for that type of vehicle - for more information read about types of CPV
  • passes the CPV standards inspection.

Modified or imported vehicles are assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 December 2017

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.