Driving a commercial passenger vehicle
Commercial passenger vehicle licence - H endorsement: apply or renew
All commercial passenger vehicle drivers need an H endorsement on their Northern Territory (NT) driver licence.
This endorsement is also necessary for anyone wanting to hold a commercial passenger vehicle identity (CPVID) card.
Before you apply or renew
To apply for your H endorsement
You must meet all of the following:
- be at least 18 years and six months old
- hold a current NT open (not provisional) driver licence for the type of vehicle you want to drive
- be able to read and write in the English language
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or hold a current working visa
- pass the Hire and Reward Knowledge theory test at a Motor Vehicle Registry office
- complete the CPVF05 application or renewal for a Hire and Reward Endorsement form
- provide a national police certificate supplied by SAFE NT dated within three months
- provide a current medical assessment of fitness to drive.
Apply to become a rideshare driver
If you are applying to become a rideshare driver you must complete the online ridesharing driver application.
Read more about how to become a rideshare driver.
To renew your H endorsement
Your driver licence renewal notice will show which documents you may need at the time of renewal.
These can include all of the following:
- a new medical assessment for fitness to drive
- a national police certificate supplied by SAFE NT dated within three months
- current Australian residency or citizenship or current working visa.
You will need to complete the CPVF05 application or renewal for a Hire or Reward Endorsement form .
How to apply for or renew your H endorsement
You can apply for or renew your H endorsement in person at an MVR office.
New applicants: theory test
New applicants must pass the hire and reward knowledge theory test relating to commercial passenger vehicle requirements in the NT. The test can be done at any MVR office. No bookings are necessary.
A test fee of $20 applies for each attempt of the hire and reward knowledge theory test.
Before taking the theory test you can take a free online practice test.
To find out more about the theory test read the CPV05 How to obtain an H (Hire or Reward) Endorsement information bulletin.
Last updated: 10 July 2019