Commercial passenger vehicle licence - H endorsement: apply or renew
All commercial passenger vehicle drivers need an H endorsement on their Northern Territory (NT) driver licence.
This endorsement is also necessary for anyone wanting to hold a commercial passenger vehicle identity (CPVID) card.
Before you apply or renew
To apply for your H endorsement
You must meet all of the following:
- be at least 18 years and six months old
- hold a current NT open (not provisional) driver licence for the type of vehicle you want to drive
- be able to read and write in the English language
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or hold a current working visa
- pass the Hire and Reward Knowledge theory test
- complete the How to obtain a H (Hire and Reward) Endorsement form
- provide a national police certificate supplied by SAFE NT dated within three months
- provide a current medical assessment of fitness to drive.
To renew your H endorsement
Your driver licence renewal notice will show which documents you may need at the time of renewal.
These can include all of the following:
- a new medical assessment for fitness to drive
- a national police certificate supplied by SAFE NT dated within three months
- current Australian residency or citizenship or current working visa.
You will need to complete the How to obtain a H (Hire and Reward) Endorsement form .
How to apply for or renew your H endorsement
You can renew your H endorsement in person at an MVR office.
New applicants: theory test
New applicants must pass the hire and reward knowledge theory test relating to commercial passenger vehicle requirements in the NT. The test can be done at any MVR office. No bookings are necessary.
A test fee applies for each attempt of the hire and reward knowledge theory test.
The Hire and Reward Knowledge test is based on information found in the following acts, regulations, CPV information bulletins and general road rules below:
|Commercial passenger (road) transport act||Commercial passenger mini bus regulations||Commercial passenger (miscellaneous) regulations|
|Motor vehicle (hire car) regulations||Passenger bus regulations||Tourist vehicle regulations|
|Taxis regulations||Limousine regulations||Rideshare regulations|
|Special function vehicle regulations||Motor omnibus regulations||Taxi and mini bus code of conduct|
|NT road user's handbook|
All of the above legislation can be found at the NT legislation database.
Before taking the theory test you can do a free practice theory test online.