Driving a commercial passenger vehicle
Commercial passenger vehicle licence - H endorsement: apply or renew
All commercial passenger vehicle drivers need an H endorsement on their Northern Territory (NT) driver licence.
This endorsement is also necessary for anyone wanting to hold a commercial passenger vehicle identity (CPVID) card.
You're not eligible to apply if you hold a learner or provisional driver licence, or if you're subject to an alcohol ignition lock condition.
Before you apply or renew
To apply for your H endorsement
You must meet all of the following:
- be at least 18 years and six months old
- have held an open driver licence (Australian or overseas) in the last three years for at least 12 months
- hold a current NT open driver licence
- be able to read and write in English
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or hold a current working visa
- pass the Hire and Reward Knowledge theory test at a Motor Vehicle Registry office
- fill in the CPVF05 application or renewal for a licence to drive a commercial passenger vehicle (H endorsement) form
- provide a national police certificate supplied by SAFE NT dated within three months
- provide a current medical assessment of fitness to drive dated within six months.
Apply to become a rideshare driver
If you are applying to become a rideshare driver you must fill in the online ridesharing driver application.
Read more about how to become a rideshare driver.
To renew your H endorsement
Your driver licence renewal notice will show which documents you may need at the time of renewal.
These can include all of the following:
- a new medical assessment for fitness to drive dated within six months
- a national police certificate supplied by SAFE NT dated within three months
- current Australian residency or citizenship or current working visa.
You will need to fill in the CPVF05 application or renewal for a licence to drive a commercial passenger vehicle (H endorsement) form .
How to apply for or renew your H endorsement
You can apply for or renew your H endorsement in person at an MVR office.
New applicants: theory test
New applicants must pass the hire and reward knowledge theory test relating to commercial passenger vehicle requirements in the NT. The test can be done at any MVR office. No bookings are necessary.
A test fee of $20 applies for each attempt of the hire and reward knowledge theory test.
Before taking the theory test you can take a free online practice test.
To find out more about the theory test, read the CPV05 How to obtain a licence to drive a commercial passenger vehicle (H endorsement) information bulletin .
Last updated: 07 July 2020
Share this page: